Sunday 25 January 2009

Celebrating Robert Burns

Today is the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns. He was a bit of a lad in his day but he left Scotland and the world a powerful legacy of poetry and song that 250 years later is sung and recited all over the world. At New Year I always think of all the people around the world joining hands and singing Auld Lang Syne. 

At the new house the acoustics are amazing (something to do with it being empty and as yet uncluttered) and I found myself belting out 'My love is like a red, red rose' and 'Auld Lang Syne' and other songs and doing half-baked recitations of poems.

After waiting a long time for The Complete Poems and Songs of Robert Burns to come in stock at Amazon (and giving up), I found the book I had been longing for during a grocery shop at Lidl and on sale for £2.99. Shopping at Lidl often throws up little surprises but this was totally unexpected. Anyway, the book came in to its own today as I recited Address to a Haggis on placing a haggis, 'Great Chieftain o' the pudding-race!', on the dinner table.

'And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!'

 My husband listened politely,  my son tucked in and my daughter hadn't even arrived at the table yet as she "hates" haggis. 

Then after dinner we sang and recited 'Such a parcel of rogues in a nation' amongst others. England didn't take Scotland by force and make us join them in the Act of Union. No, Scotland was given away by a few  Lowland Scots concerned with gaining access to the Commonwealth. The people of Scotland didn't get a choice in the matter. 

'We're bought and sold for English gold - 
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!'

The older I get the more I appreciate Burns' work. His language, his ability to get to the heart of the matter, his choice of subjects such as a mouse, a louse and the Holy Willies of the world. I'm off now to make a cup of tea in time to watch a TV programme of Burns poetry and song.

I've decided to celebrate Burns night every year with a haggis, music, song and recitations. My challenge for next year will be to be able to recite some Burns without reading from my book!

2 comments:

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

Good on you for celebrating Burns night in your own way. I agree I appreciate his work so much more now that I am older. BBCI has a series of Burns programmes on file that are well worth watching if you get the time. Great post.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.